Friday, March 26, 2010

seven olympic events you've probably never heard about

Image Hosting by imagefra.me


As you may know, I have written several Squidoo "lenses" (that's what Squidoo calls its web pages). One of them is called,"SEVEN OLYMPIC EVENTS YOU'VE PROBABLY NEVER HEARD ABOUT".

My family has a set of Encyclopedia Britannica. They bought them in the late sixties when I was in junior high school. I think they call it middle school now. There are twenty-three volumes, plus an index and several supplemental volumes.

I always loved those books. They had EVERYTHING in them. Of course, technology has advanced far past these volumes. One of the supplemental volumes tells about the moon landing, for instance. The set is frozen in time as of 1968.

During the recent Olympic games in Canada, I remembered an article I read long ago in the encyclopedia about events were once part of the Olympics that you wouldn't think of as Olympic at all. Things like art and architecture.

I thought it might be fun to look up some of the other obscure events. I wrote this lens to share these fun facts with anyone who might find them interesting.

The encyclopedias take up a lot of space and some of the information is out of date, but I still love those books. <3

No comments: