Thursday, November 4, 2010

An Earlier Pyle Girl

Image Hosting by imagefra.me
Image Hosting by imagefra.me
Image Hosting by imagefra.me
Image Hosting by imagefra.me
Aren't these wonderful illustrations?

I first heard of Ellen Pyle while watching Antiques Roadshow. The lucky person had one of her original paintings. She was a student of Homer Pyle and later married his brother, Walter, according to this website; http://www.ellenpyle.net/. She illustrated Saturday Evening Post covers.

My family's original name was Pyle. The spelling was changed for unknown reasons several generations ago, when they were already here in America. My dad tried to change it back. He spelled his name Pyle in high school. But when he signed up for the Army when World War II started, they insisted he spell his name the way his birth certificate did. Picky, picky.
In spite of this, I don't know for sure if Ellen, Walter, or Howard are actually in my family.
Still, I would like to posthumously adopt Ellen Pyle as a Pile Girl.

No comments: