Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The New Bed

While my mother is recovering from her recent illness, one of my sisters was kind enough to stay with Mom for a while on Sunday so I could get a break. We decided to go to the Pacific Rim Street Fest in Old Sacramento.

But we never made it there.

On the way, we stopped at an estate sale. And I found a king size Select Comfort bed for $400. And they were having a half price sale that day. So I bought a $1200 bed for $200.

John doesn't like to sleep in my bed because he says there isn't enough room. I knew I wanted to buy a king size bed in the next few years. I want us to get married and sleep together like normal people. It was a rare opportunity.

We went back home and my sister called her husband. He came over with his trailer and was kind enough to transport the bed home for me.

My sister helped me move furniture around to make room for this huge bed. We put my old full-size bed in my mother's room (after moving her hospital bed to one side).

That night, I slept there in Mom's room. It was kind of fun, like a slumber party. She was asleep when I came to bed.

The next day, I was quite busy taking care of Momma and dealing with a mountain of laundry. I ordered some king-size bedding online, but I didn't do anything with the new bed.

That night I slept in Mother's room again. She coughed until about 5 am. I kept trying to figure out what the problem was. I changed her diaper, I turned her over, I made her bed sit up and lie flat. I talked to her and tried to soothe her. She kept coughing and keeping me awake.

This morning I was exhausted. I left Mother asleep and I went to Big Lots and bought king size sheets. They had some quilts, but they were all hideous. I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and found a pretty quilt. For once, I got some use out of one of those 20% off coupons we get in the mail every week.

Mother slept most of the day. I had a hard time waking her up for dinner. Now she's awake and coughing. But I have a new bed now and I don't have to sleep in her room.

No comments: